AUSTIN, Texas (PRESS RELEASE) — The next is a press launch from the Texas DPS:
There’s a lot to be grateful for this yr, and the Texas Division of Public Security (DPS) desires to make sure persons are in a position to get to and from their vacation celebrations safely. Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers will improve enforcement on the roads from Wednesday, Nov. 24, by Sunday, Nov. 28. DPS Troopers will probably be in search of individuals not carrying seat belts, driving whereas intoxicated, dashing and failing to observe the Transfer Over, Sluggish Down regulation, amongst different site visitors violations.
“This Thanksgiving extra individuals will probably be out and it’s vital to recollect it’s as much as every one among us to maintain the roads protected,” mentioned DPS Director Steven McCraw. “DPS will do its half to maintain Texas protected by holding individuals accountable, and we wish everybody who could also be driving for the vacation to do their half by obeying all site visitors legal guidelines, so everybody will get to their locations unhurt.”
DPS participates yearly within the nationwide Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness and Discount Effort) initiative for the Thanksgiving vacation. Throughout the 2020 enforcement effort, a complete of 36,902 warnings and citations have been issued, together with 5,287 for dashing; 752 for driving with out insurance coverage; 513 for seat belt and little one seat violations; and 245 violations for Transfer Over, Sluggish Down. Final yr’s enforcement efforts additionally resulted in 395 felony arrests, 205 DWI arrests and 120 fugitive arrests.
DPS provides the next security suggestions for the Thanksgiving vacation:
- Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans if you’re consuming alcohol.
- Transfer Over or Sluggish Down for police, hearth, EMS, Texas Division of Transportation (TxDOT) autos and tow vehicles stopped on the facet of the street with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the facet of the street. This yr alone, between Jan. 1 and Nov. 12, DPS issued 11,165 warnings and citations for violations of this regulation.
- Buckle up everybody within the automobile — it’s the regulation.
- Decelerate, particularly in dangerous climate, heavy site visitors, unfamiliar areas or building zones.
- Eradicate distractions whereas driving, together with the usage of cellular gadgets. Texas regulation prohibits the usage of moveable wi-fi gadgets to learn, write or ship an electronic mail until the automobile is stopped.
- Should you’re utilizing a navigation system or app, have a passenger function it, so you may hold your eyes on the street.
- Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current extra challenges.
- Don’t drive fatigued — enable loads of time to achieve your vacation spot.
- On multi-lane roads, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous and avoids impeding site visitors, Texas regulation requires slower site visitors to maintain to the correct and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
- Don’t lower in entrance of huge vehicles, and check out to not brake rapidly in entrance of them. They will’t maneuver as simply as passenger autos and pickup vehicles.
- Should you can Steer It, Clear It: In case you are concerned in a non-injury crash and your automobile will be moved, clear the site visitors lanes to attenuate site visitors affect. Leaving autos in a site visitors lane will increase site visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, for those who don’t transfer your automobile when it’s protected to take action, it’s in opposition to the regulation.
- Verify your automobile to ensure it’s correctly maintained and all the time guarantee your cargo is safe.
- Report street hazards or something suspicious to the closest regulation enforcement company.
- Monitor climate and street situations wherever you might be touring. For street situations and closures in Texas, go to Drive Texas.
(Press launch from Texas Division of Public Security)