Web site enhancements embody extra frequent updates, spanning extra miles of roadway
For the Tomahawk Chief
WISCONSIN – The Wisconsin Division of Transportation (WisDOT) is encouraging drivers to take a look at the expanded and improved winter highway situation reporting supplied on-line.
The knowledge is accessible at www.511wi.gov.
“Security is core to our mission,” stated WisDOT Secretary Craig Thompson. “We’re proud to search out new methods to leverage expertise to enhance service and provides the general public a extra clear and correct concept of the way to put together for the drive forward.”
WisDOT stated the 511 replace unveiled late final month ties within the Upkeep Choice Assist System (MDSS) expertise the division and county freeway departments use to make knowledgeable selections on plowing and salting. MDSS generates automated fashions based mostly on situations measured at a number of areas all through the state.
The info sources can be found across the clock and embody:
- Atmospheric and highway climate sensors alongside the roadway and at airports
- Info from snowplows enabled with Geographic Info Techniques (GIS)
- Info from the Nationwide Climate Service
WisDOT started utilizing 511 Wisconsin to report on winter highway situations in 2013. In earlier years, the winter highway situations have been managed manually with personnel reporting situations from the sector.
“Now, leveraging the MDSS expertise permits an expanded system able to extra frequent reporting and better consistency,” WisDOT acknowledged. “Greater than 14,000 centerline miles of roadway will likely be up to date at the very least twice hourly by gadgets continually pulling in information. The previous system lined roughly 3,700 miles with subject observations coming in each a number of hours.”
Methods to use the system:
- Go to 511wi.gov or obtain the 511wi smartphone app.
- Within the map legend, be certain “winter highway situations” is checked.
- Search for the colours outlining the roadways close to you.
- Circumstances embody good winter driving, slippery stretches, snow lined, ice lined, and journey not suggested.
Drivers are inspired to all the time anticipate the sudden from a Wisconsin winter. WisDOT supplied the next tricks to keep protected on Wisconsin roadways:
- Buckle up, telephone down. Each journey, each time.
- In an energetic storm, chorus from journey each time potential on your personal security and in addition to supply plow drivers room to securely work.
- Within the occasion of a crash, bear in mind in the event you can “steer it, clear it.” Many drivers assume they need to not transfer their automotive if they’re concerned in a fender bender or crash. If (and provided that) your automotive is drivable and there aren’t any accidents, it is best to transfer your automotive to the shoulder or close by protected place off of the highway earlier than calling 911.
- It’s the legislation to remain at the very least 200 toes behind a snowplow engaged in snow and ice removing.
Go to www.wisconsindot.gov/staysafe to study extra about protected driving suggestions, hyperlinks to greatest practices for winter highway security, and the legislation.