RICHMOND, Va. (WFXR) – As coronavirus circumstances lower, extra folks get vaccinated, and extra companies reopen, Virginians are desperate to get out of the home and benefit from the summer time season! In consequence, extra pedestrians are touring alongside Virginia streets and sidewalks as they head out to benefit from the climate and the native points of interest.
Nevertheless, the additional foot site visitors additionally means there’s a increased likelihood of pedestrians being struck and presumably killed by a automobile.
Despite the fact that there have been fewer autos on the roads as a result of COVID-19 pandemic, the Virginia Division of Motor Autos (DMV) says 114 pedestrians died on the Commonwealth’s roads in 2020.
Nevertheless, the DMV hopes to lower these pedestrian deaths and accidents and promote protected strolling and pedestrian consciousness throughout Virginia.
To assist unfold a summertime security message, the DMV has launched a marketing campaign urging pedestrians to completely verify that the best way is evident earlier than crossing the road. As well as, the marketing campaign reminds motorists to pay attention to pedestrians and ensure they’ve crossed safely earlier than driving forward.
The motto of the marketing campaign — which can run by way of Aug. 8 — is “Should you don’t know, don’t go.” The marketing campaign will run by way of August 8.
The marketing campaign’s central focus is an animated public service announcement (PSA), together with adverts that can run on digital and social media, native radio, and on the perimeters of buses all through Virginia, particularly in pedestrian-friendly cities like Roanoke.
“The objective of this marketing campaign is to extend security for each pedestrians and drivers and save lives on our roadways by way of elevated consciousness,” mentioned DMV Commissioner Richard D. Holcomb, the Governor’s Freeway Security Consultant. “All of us share the duty of creating positive that we’re driving and strolling safely. Should you don’t know, don’t go.”
The DMV provides the next security ideas for pedestrians and drivers:
- Pedestrians ought to look each methods and ensure the best way is absolutely clear earlier than crossing.
- Pedestrians ought to cross solely at designated crosswalks or at corners, however by no means in the course of the road.
- Pedestrians mustn’t put on earbuds when strolling or jogging. Nevertheless, if you want to hearken to music, solely put on one earbud.
- Drivers ought to preserve a watch out for pedestrians and ensure intersections are clear earlier than continuing.
- Virginia regulation requires drivers to cease at crosswalks and yield to pedestrians who’re attempting to cross.
- Drivers ought to do not forget that pedestrians could not all the time cross at crosswalks, so scale back speeds and anticipate the surprising.
For extra details about pedestrian security, go to tzdva.org.