CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. — Crews are “on the transfer” Sunday to verify roads keep protected forward of a winter storm that will impact much of the Commonwealth Monday, in accordance with Virginia Division of Transportation (VDOT) officers.
“Crews are working now to arrange and cargo gear earlier than reporting early Monday morning,” officers mentioned in an e mail Sunday afternoon. “As soon as precipitation begins, crews will work in 24-hour operations till all roads are protected and satisfactory.”
Crews will plow the place accumulations attain 2 inches or extra and maintain a watch for a possible refreeze in a single day, in accordance with officers.
“Icy patches shall be handled with salt to assist soften ice and sand to reinforce traction for drivers,” officers mentioned.
Officers mentioned further Security Service Patrol automobiles shall be on the interstates throughout peak journey instances to assist with site visitors incidents. Accordingly, extra Transportation Operations Middle workers members shall be working to coordinate incidents with patrol operators and regulation enforcement, officers mentioned.
“VDOT has a plan in place and we’re asking Richmond District residents to additionally plan forward,” VDOT Appearing Richmond District Upkeep Engineer Gary Jennings mentioned. “Ask your self if you really want to drive – and when you do, keep in mind to make security your high precedence. It’s additionally a good suggestion to refresh your reminiscence on protected driving ideas.”
VDOT supplied the following pointers for drivers:
- The most secure place throughout a winter storm is indoors.
- Delay Monday journey if attainable. Slushy roads can nonetheless be harmful for drivers.
- If drivers keep off the roads throughout a storm, transportation employees and public security officers are higher in a position to plow roadways and reply to emergency wants faster.
- When you should drive, give snow plows loads of room (at the least 100 ft) and do not go them.
- Give all automobiles further following distance throughout snow.
- Melted snow presents one other harmful problem: Ice. Refreeze is feasible Monday night time. Drivers ought to assume ice is current on the street if temperatures are beneath freezing and precipitation is current on the roadway.
- Be further cautious in areas which are likely to freeze first, together with bridges, shaded areas, overpasses, curves and turns.
State police additionally mentioned they had been prepping for the storm and would have “all out there troopers” on patrol for crashes, emergencies and disabled motorists, officers mentioned.
Troopers additionally urged Virginians to plan ahead earlier than the storm strikes in.
“When you can delay your journey in a single day and early Monday, please do till VDOT has a possibility to deal with/clear roadways for protected journey,” officers mentioned.
COMPLETE COVERAGE: Tracking winter storm; when rain will mix with some sleet and snow