One Monday night earlier this month, Aaliyah Martinez, a 16-year-old from Hutto and beloved daughter, sister, buddy, classmate and teammate on the highschool soccer squad, was driving on a North Austin overpass when she misplaced management of her 2004 Honda CRV.
Particulars: Austin police haven’t mentioned what led to the accident.
The massive image: There have been roughly 970 crashes involving a teenage driver within the final yr throughout Austin, per new figures from the town’s Transportation Division.
- Of these, greater than 50 wrecks resulted in critical accidents or dying.
Driving the information: It is Nationwide Teen Driver Security Week, geared toward elevating consciousness of risks on the street.
- The Nationwide Freeway Visitors Security Administration gives parents tips to speak about protected driving behaviors with their youngsters.
- “New drivers are much less skilled and extra vulnerable to harmful conditions, placing themselves and others in danger,” mentioned Austin Court docket Clerk Mary Jane Grubb, who wasn’t talking particularly about Martinez’s dying.
- Automobile crashes account for practically one-third of all teen deaths in America annually, per the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.
- The Austin Municipal Court docket discovered that within the final 18 months, 328 tickets have been issued to teenage drivers age 16 and youthful. Greater than 40% of these have been concerned in crashes.
The night of Oct. 4, Martinez was touring southbound on the U.S. 183 Flyover close to State Freeway 45, per police reports.
- After putting a concrete wall, the CRV rolled over and fell practically 100 toes to the roadway under.
- Martinez was transported to a neighborhood hospital the place she was pronounced deceased at 12:40am, practically 4 hours after the crash.
- It marked Austin’s ninetieth deadly automobile crash in 2021; via early October 2020, there have been 65.
A pair nights later, the Hutto Hippos honored Martinez, a member of the women soccer group who wore No. 22, throughout their street recreation in opposition to the Spherical Rock Dragons.
The college’s soccer gamers displayed the slogan “Lengthy Reside Aaliyah,” or “LLA,” on their uniforms and helmets.
- In a pre-game ceremony, gamers gathered round a large banner that confirmed footage of Martinez rising up, because the PA announcement remembered how she “excelled on the sector and within the classroom.”
“RIP Aaliyah Marie Martinez ❤️ you had a lot life left forward of you & you have been doing nice issues,” Shorty Martinez wrote on Facebook concerning the individual Shorty known as “little sis.”