Jillian Anderson mentioned she based HERide based mostly on her experiences as a driver.
ATLANTA — A rideshare firm catered solely for ladies in launching in Atlanta. It is referred to as HERide and was based by a former Lyft driver of 4 years.
“The principle factor that makes us completely different is we’re for ladies by girls,” founder Jillian Anderson mentioned. “All the drivers on our platform are girls.”
“I used to be most likely one of many earliest Lyft drivers in Atlanta,” she mentioned. “I might usually drive at night time, and I might decide up a variety of girls and so they had been canceling rides till they received a lady driver.”
“There’s been girls which were adopted, she added. “There’s been girls which were contacted after their trip. Ladies which were touched on.”
1000’s of assaults are reported to Uber and Lyft yearly, based on the rideshare giants’ personal information.
Uber’s most up-to-date security report exhibits between 2017 and 2018, there have been almost 6,000 reported sexual assaults throughout or after a trip. In addition they reported a median of 4 rapes reported every week.
Lyft launched similar data a yr later, revealing greater than 4,000 studies of sexual assaults from 2017 to 2019.
11Alive requested each corporations for up to date information, however had been advised none is obtainable.
After they launched their 2019 security report, Uber vowed to launch security and assault information each two years. When requested why no new report has been launched since, an Uber spokesperson defined the delay is as a result of they’re ready on NHTSA’s 2020 FARS (Fatality Evaluation Reporting Information) report, which has not but been launched.
Anderson says when the thought of a women-only rideshare firm got here to her, it appeared so apparent.
“Ladies really feel uncomfortable in trip share and rides on a regular basis,” she mentioned. “It simply dawned on me and I used to be like, wait, there are not any apps that cater only for girls? Half of the folks that take rideshares are girls.”
So she launched HERide, with co-founder and advertising director Kiersten Harris.
They’re nonetheless within the fundraising and driver interview course of.
“When a driver indicators up, I need to meet you,” Anderson defined of their course of. “Not solely do I need to see your automotive, however I need to see who you’re, the kind of particular person you’re.”
Even throughout a pre-launch, the ladies of Atlanta have seemingly spoken.
“The response has been insane,” Anderson mentioned. “We have now over twenty thousand downloads on our platform…clients which have downloaded our app, created an account and are ready for us to go reside. Ladies want this. Ladies want the choice.”
You’ll be able to obtain HERide or be taught extra here.
Whereas Lyft and Uber didn’t present up to date assault information, each corporations provided a press release and a top level view their many security options.
An Uber spokesperson mentioned: “Security is a high precedence at Uber. Each journey is GPS tracked, drivers should cross a radical background examine, and we’ve pioneered lots of the security options which can be customary within the trade in the present day, together with an in-app emergency button. Our work on security isn’t completed, and we stay dedicated to investing in know-how and options designed with security in thoughts.”
Uber additionally highlighted the next security options:
- 911 integration pilot in 1800+ jurisdictions: If a rider or driver makes use of the emergency button in certainly one of these cities, Uber’s tech and partnership with Fast SOS permits key journey particulars to be digitally despatched to 911 dispatchers together with the caller’s identify, make and mannequin of the Uber automotive, license plate, and GPS.
- RideCheck helps be certain that drivers and riders are OK within the occasion of a doable crash or surprising lengthy cease.
- Follow My Ride feature accessible within the app for drivers permits them to share their journey route in actual time with household or family members.
- On-Journey Reporting: This function permits riders to report a non-emergency security situation throughout an Uber journey.
- Trusted Contacts: Riders can select to be prompted mechanically to share their journey with family members. Out there globally.
- Security Heart: a devoted part within the app the place riders can be taught extra about security options and information which is obtainable globally.
- Verify Your Experience notification: A push notification and in-app reminder that instructs riders to verify the automotive particulars — make and mannequin, license plate, and driver photograph – match what’s within the app earlier than getting in.
- Confirm Your Rides: Riders have the choice to confirm every of their rides with a novel, 4-digit PIN that they’ll verbally present to their driver, who must enter it into their very own app in an effort to begin the journey. This helps riders be certain that they’re entering into the proper automotive, and it helps drivers be certain that they’re selecting up the proper rider.
- In April 2021, Uber rolled out a new rider verification function throughout the US that can present an additional layer of verification for riders who’re utilizing nameless types of cost similar to pay as you go playing cards, present playing cards or Venmo.
- In 2021 Uber additionally launched the Uber Survivor Assets Hotline which gives fast, confidential and trauma-informed help for survivors reporting crucial sexual assault incidents associated to the Uber app.
In response to this story, a Lyft spokesperson mentioned: “Security is key to Lyft. Whereas security incidents on our platform are extremely uncommon, we notice that even one is just too many. Our aim is to make each Lyft trip as secure as we probably can, which is why we’re continually working to develop new options, insurance policies and partnerships to assist shield and help riders and drivers.”
The corporate mentioned they provide a number of security options, together with:
- Driver screening: Lyft requires preliminary and annual background checks of drivers, steady felony and driving file monitoring, in addition to neighborhood security schooling created in session with RAINN, North America’s largest anti-sexual violence group.
- In-app options:Lyft permits riders to share their location with household and mates, join immediately with Lyft Assist, and rapidly and simply entry emergency help from the Lyft app. Two of Lyft’s latest options embody:
- Emergency Help, supported by ADT, permits riders and drivers to rapidly and discreetly join with an ADT safety skilled, who can alert authorities to allow them to arrive on the consumer’s reside location, outfitted with trip particulars just like the car’s make and mannequin, license plate quantity, and the supposed drop-off location.
- With Good Journey Verify-in, Lyft can attain out to riders and drivers if their trip seems to be irregular and might join them to our personal Security workforce or emergency help.