As each temperatures and bike site visitors on commonwealth roadways are on the rise, the Pennsylvania Division of Transportation (PennDOT) and Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) be part of companies all through the nation in recognizing Could as Bike Security Consciousness Month.
“As increasingly individuals benefit from the enjoyable and pleasure of motorcycling, we wish to remind each motorcyclists and motorists to share the street safely,” stated PennDOT Secretary Yassmin Gramian. “Staying conscious whereas driving or driving, obeying velocity limits and being accountable will assist preserve fatalities and accidents as little as attainable.”
There have been greater than 3,400 crashes involving bikes on Pennsylvania roadways in 2020, leading to 217 fatalities. Crashes rose by greater than 300 from the 2019 variety of 2,977, whereas fatalities additionally rose from 174 in 2019.
“Keep in mind to decelerate, don’t drink and trip, and preserve your self upright and prepared for the subsequent driving journey,” stated Colonel Robert Evanchick, commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police. “All ranges of motorbike riders are inspired to enroll in a free security coaching class and refresh their abilities and even study a brand new approach.”
PennDOT has contracted with a number of third-party bike coaching suppliers to supply free bike security coaching lessons to Pennsylvania class M allow and bike license holders. Class sizes could also be restricted, as security tips are in impact to mitigate the unfold of COVID-19, and lessons could be scheduled at a number of coaching websites all through Pennsylvania. Class schedules are coordinated by every third-party coaching supplier for his or her particular person areas and extra info could be discovered at www.penndot.gov/PAMSP. Further lessons and areas will proceed to be added.
Profitable completion of a primary or intermediate course waives the requirement to take a abilities check at a PennDOT Driver License Heart and robotically earns the allow holder their bike license. Bike allow holders who full a 3-wheel primary course will earn a motorbike license with restriction prohibiting the operation a of 2-wheel bike.
Moreover, PennDOT provides a digital bike coaching course for people underneath 18 who’re required by regulation to finish a department-approved bike security course earlier than they will take the abilities check and acquire their bike license. To schedule or for extra info on this course, go to www.penndot.gov/PAMSP.
As a part of efforts to advertise the secure operation of bikes in Pennsylvania, PennDOT and PSP invite bike advocates, security companions and riders to submit movies to PennDOT on a security subject of their selecting – from avoiding distractions whereas driving to recommendations on bike upkeep to make sure a secure trip. Extra info on this public attraction could be discovered at www.penndot.gov/PAMSP and clicking on “Bike Security Video Mission.”
Some security ideas motorists ought to keep in mind when sharing the street with bikes embrace:
- Look ahead to bikes: bikes are small and could also be tough to see. Examine mirrors and blind spots earlier than altering lanes and at intersections.
- Enable extra following distance: go away a minimum of 4 seconds when following a motorbike.
- All the time sign your intentions earlier than altering lanes or merging with site visitors.
- Respect a motorbike as a full-size automobile with the identical rights and privileges as any automobile on the roadway. Enable a motorcyclist a full lane width because the motorcyclist wants the room to maneuver safely in all varieties of street circumstances.
- By no means drive impaired.
Motorcyclists can do their half to assist keep away from crashes by following some easy security ideas:
- Be seen by sporting reflective clothes and put reflective tape in your protecting clothes and bike. Additionally put on face or eye safety and a DOT-approved helmet.
- Use widespread sense by driving sober, obeying all velocity limits and permitting sufficient time to react to doubtlessly harmful conditions.
- Know your bike and conduct a pre-ride verify.
- Apply secure driving strategies and know tips on how to deal with your bike in hostile street and climate circumstances.
For extra info on bike security and coaching, please go to www.penndot.gov/PAMSP.