CARSON CITY, Nev. – As Washoe County and different faculties throughout the state return from spring break over coming weeks, the Nevada Division of Transportation is reminding drivers, pedestrians and college students to be secure in class zones.
NDOT reminds drivers and pedestrians of the next legal guidelines (https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-484b.html#NRS484BSec363):
No dashing in class zones
Observe all college zone velocity limits
Be aware that hours of decreased college zone velocity limits range per school- at all times be attentive
No passing in class zones
Don’t go or overtake one other car touring the identical path in a faculty zone. This consists of on roads with a number of lanes in the identical path.
Cease for/don’t go college buses stopping to select up or let college students out
- No U-turns in class zones
NDOT can be launching a faculty zone security marketing campaign. Roadside banners are being put in in choose college places statewide reminding drivers that it’s unlawful to go in class zones.
The marketing campaign is spearheaded by the Nevada Division of Transportation’s Protected Routes to Faculties Program. This system collaborates with faculties year-round to enhance college students’ skill to soundly stroll and bike to high school by offering college students with bicycling and pedestrian training and actions, corresponding to Stroll and Bike to College Day.
“Some Nevadans haven’t pushed as a lot over the previous 12 months. Different could also be touring new routes which take them by way of newly-active college zones,” NDOT Bicycle and Pedestrian Training Coordinator Albert Jacquez defined. “Having a break from these conventional college zone driving routines doesn’t imply that security ought to take a break. All of us should share the street to maintain everybody secure.”
Nevadans can go to bicyclenevada.com for varsity zone data, assets and contacts.
- Plan your route.
- Keep seen. Put on gentle and vibrant coloured clothes. For those who have to be out at night time, put on reflective clothes.
- Keep alert. Put your telephone down and don’t put on headphones.
- Stroll on sidewalks. If no sidewalks can be found, guarantee that there’s secure distance between your self and passing automobiles and stroll dealing with site visitors.
- Solely cross when secure to take action. Make eye contact with the drivers and ensure all automobiles have stopped earlier than crossing. When doable, cross at a crosswalk.
- All the time drive attentively and obey all college zone site visitors management, together with decreased college zone speeds.
- When approaching college zones and crosswalks, cut back velocity and be ready to cease.
- Cease for pedestrians and bicyclists and await them to cross utterly.
- By no means go a automobile that has stopped at a cross stroll.
- Obey the three-foot rule: when passing a bicycle, enable for not less than three toes of clearance between the car and bicyclist.
- By no means drive distracted or impaired.