Many must-do’s for well being care staff
As a supplier of well being care providers in hospitals for about 45 years and having been a affected person myself many occasions, I feel I do know a factor or two about necessities to guard affected person security [“Legal challenges to public health mandates surge,” News, Sept. 26].
We’re required to be vaccinated in opposition to quite a few infectious ailments. When getting into any form of sterile space, we’re required to wash appropriately and don robes, hair and shoe coverings, new face masks, and gloves. Lengthy fingernails and jewellery are prohibited. When affected person care technicians present hands-on help, they’re required to completely wash their fingers between sufferers. The listing goes on and on.
Why do we’ve got these necessities? They’re there for 2 causes. To guard the well being and security of sufferers we deal with, and to guard our personal well being and security when offering care to sufferers with infectious ailments.
And but none of those are, strictly talking, mandates. They’re, nonetheless, necessities that should be met with the intention to safely carry out their duties.
So I’m undecided why a vaccine that can present a excessive stage of safety in opposition to transmission of an infectious illness poses an issue for a lot of well being care staff.
— Leonard Cohen, Wantagh
Since so many individuals are demanding their rights for particular person decisions over the rights of the plenty, they need to be allowed to hold out their so-called “rights.”
Nevertheless, they need to be penalized if their actions trigger different people to change into in poor health or die as a consequence of their “rights” and the results of their behaviors.
Nobody ought to argue their rights if it causes hurt to others. Heavy financial penalties and jail time needs to be utilized if tracing reveals a connection of COVID-19 from these folks.
A small group of those egocentric people mustn’t hurt nearly all of people, who observe the science.
— Janet S. Gold, Woodmere
Many hospital staff watch the horrors of COVID-19 but received’t take the vaccine that may forestall them from turning into deathly sick and assist cease the unfold of this illness.
If they’ve by some means misinformed themselves into not taking the vaccine, then they’re unable to soundly do their jobs. Would Nassau or Suffolk county approve of a patrol officer refusing to put on a bulletproof vest?
Being unvaccinated presents a hazard to well being care staff and people round them. It’s OK to allow them to go. They’re, in impact, indicating they’re unable to correctly do their jobs.
Greater than 200 million folks in the US have acquired at the least one dose. It’s past the experimental stage. It’s acceptable to cull non-compliant public service workers. In some jobs, you simply can’t do no matter you are feeling like doing.
— Ron Greenfield, Wantagh
Cancel tradition means canceling our historical past
The visitor essay “Ousting Cuomo disenfranchised NY voters” by David H. Pikus is on level [Opinion, Sept. 23]. Thanks for educating us.
On this interval of cancel tradition, we’ve got additionally canceled due course of. We proceed to fail as residents, and historical past repeats itself as we compromise the rule of regulation to dehumanize one sector of the inhabitants to humanize one other.
Is that this the legacy that we want for future generations?
Historical past repeats, however beneath a special guise or trigger, or we inform ourselves it’s for the better good. If we stay this manner and select cancel tradition, we cancel all of the hardships that got here earlier than and have realized nothing from historical past within the identify of a civilized and simply society.
— Brigida C. Johnston, Center Island
Put units in automobiles to drive drivers to gradual
I totally agree with earlier discussions relating to the apparent uptick in reckless driving and the necessity for some stage of enforcement and accountability [“Use new tools for safer roads,” Editorial, Aug. 16].
Greater than 2 million automobiles are registered in Nassau and Suffolk counties. Let’s say 95% of the drivers are strong law-abiding residents. That leaves 5% who match into the class of harmful drivers. That’s 100,000 potential roadway abusers. I’m not in regulation enforcement, however how can we presumably management this downside with ticketing or license suspension? One attainable answer is utilizing state-of-the-art automotive expertise to change dangerous driver habits and impulses. Extra electrical automobiles are being offered. Let’s construct sensors in automobiles that detect if a driver is dangerously tailgating or quickly switching lanes. The brake mechanically is triggered to decelerate the automotive, or the accelerator is depressed till a safer distance between automobiles is feasible. If this life-saving, commonsense expertise is standardized for all new automobiles, it may assist.
— Gary Korbel, Westbury