Protected Visitors Netherlands (VVN), an organisation monitoring street security in the Netherlands, has launched a marketing campaign calling on mother and father to keep away from driving to highschool as a lot as doable, and as a substitute go for strolling or cycling with a view to enhance street security round faculties.
Enhance street security by biking or strolling to highschool
In response to figures shared by VVN, round 80 p.c of scholars reside inside three kilometres of their school, and but 60 p.c of major college youngsters are dropped off at college within the automotive. The organisation acknowledges that this largely occurs as mother and father drop their youngsters off earlier than driving to their jobs, however factors out that the coronavirus pandemic means extra adults are working from home, and so there are “loads of alternatives” to go away the automotive behind and cycle or stroll to highschool as a substitute.
“For kids, the journey from dwelling to highschool is the perfect time to achieve sensible expertise in site visitors,” says Thomas Stuiver from the VVN. “My recommendation to oldsters: convey youngsters by bike or by foot as a lot as doable.”
What can mother and father do to assist?
VVN factors out that everybody may help contribute to creating roads within the Netherlands safer for individuals of all ages. Listed below are 5 ideas they provide families with kids to assist enhance street security on the best way to highschool:
- As a household, agree on which days you’ll stroll or cycle to highschool collectively.
- Would you relatively drive? Then park somewhat farther from the varsity and stroll the remainder of the best way.
- Ensure you park in an space the place you don’t impede the remainder of the site visitors and the place your youngster can get out safely.
- Train your youngster about how they are often protected in site visitors.
- In case your youngster is somewhat older, ensure that they know methods to journey safely – for instance by not utilizing their mobile phone once they’re on their bike.
Additionally they ask all motorists to keep away from faculties as a lot as doable throughout drop-off and pick-up to make sure children are given the house they should journey safely.
By clicking subscribe, you agree that we might course of your data in accordance with our privateness coverage. For extra data, please
visit this page.