AUSTIN – Regardless of a lot decrease visitors ranges round Texas faculties because of the pandemic, there have been nonetheless lots of of crashes at school zones final 12 months. In order hundreds of thousands of Texas college students return to class, the Texas Division of Transportation is reminding drivers to be careful for teenagers strolling and biking to high school to maintain everybody secure.
Sadly, crashes at school zones can and do occur. There have been 11 folks critically injured at school zone crashes in 2020, together with 1,214 crashes involving college buses throughout the state.
The commonest causes for these crashes at school zones are failure to manage velocity, driver inattention, failure to yield the best of manner at a cease signal and failure to yield the best of manner at a personal driveway.
TxDOT is urging drivers to decelerate, keep alert and observe all visitors legal guidelines to maintain youngsters secure and keep away from pricey fines and tickets. All of us have a accountability to maintain youngsters secure on their strategy to and from college.
Suggestions for driving at school zones
• Remember that visitors patterns round faculties could have modified because the final college 12 months, and count on extra autos on the highway as many college students might be returning for the primary time because the begin of the pandemic.
• Keep alert and put your cellphone away. Utilizing a handheld digital gadget whereas driving in an energetic college zone is towards the legislation.
• At all times obey college zone velocity restrict indicators. Bear in mind, visitors fines enhance at school zones.
• Drop off and choose up your youngsters in your college’s designated areas, not the center of the road.
• Keep watch over youngsters gathered at bus stops.
• Watch for kids who would possibly dart throughout the road or between autos.
Suggestions for Drivers Sharing the Highway with Faculty Buses
• Observe at a secure distance, preserving in thoughts that college buses make frequent stops.
• At all times stay alert for kids round buses and do not forget that they could not all the time search for autos earlier than crossing the road.
• Cease for flashing purple lights or a cease signal on a faculty bus, no matter which path you are headed. Proceed your journey as soon as the bus has moved, the flashing lights cease flashing or the bus driver indicators it is okay to go.
• Violations can result in a effective of as much as $1,250 for a primary offense.
Suggestions for kids strolling or biking to high school
• At all times use sidewalks. If there’s not a sidewalk, stroll on the left facet of the road going through visitors.
• Cross the road at intersections or marked crosswalks. Look left, proper and left once more earlier than continuing.
• At all times obey crossing guards.
• Make eye contact with drivers earlier than crossing the road. By no means assume a driver sees you.
• Search for visitors when stepping off a bus or from behind parked autos.
• At all times put on a helmet when using a bicycle.
• Don’t be distracted by digital units that take your eyes and ears off the highway.
• Observe all visitors guidelines, indicators and indicators.
“Be Protected. Drive Sensible.” is a key part of #EndTheStreakTX, a broader social media and word-of-mouth effort that encourages drivers to make safer selections whereas behind the wheel reminiscent of sporting a seat belt, driving the velocity restrict, by no means texting and driving and by no means driving inebriated or different medicine. Nov. 7, 2000 was the final deathless day on Texas roadways.
#EndTheStreakTX asks all Texans to decide to driving safely to assist finish the streak of each day deaths.