Driving with ice, snow, or each on the bottom in Nebraska is sort of inevitable. The Climate Channel presents the following tips to assist preserve you secure whereas out on the roads:
- Keep on essential roads and highways, and keep on with the flattest roads you may. Keep away from hills and roads with sloping surfaces wherever doable.
- Drive solely throughout daylight and keep away from driving alone should you can.
- Convey blankets with you to maintain heat in case you develop into stranded. Additionally deliver bottled water or heat drinks, to keep away from changing into dehydrated.
- Let members of the family know the place you’re going and while you’re anticipated to return.
- If a snowstorm or blizzard forces you to cease, pull off the freeway and switch in your hazard lights. You probably have a misery flag or sticker, grasp it out of your radio antenna or apply it to your window. Stay in your automobile, the place rescuers are most definitely to search out you.
- For those who’re stranded for an prolonged time period, run your engine for about 10 minutes each hour to remain heat. Open a window barely for air flow whereas the automobile is working, to stop any carbon monoxide buildup. Take away any snow that builds up in your automobile’s exhaust pipe.
- If it’s important to spend the night time in your automobile, activate the inside overhead gentle so rescuers or work crews can see you.
Touring in a snowstorm will not be suggested and Custer County Sheriff Dan Osmond advised KCNI/KBBN when a highway is closed DO NOT try to journey on it.
“When these roads are closed which means there is no such thing as a assist from us [Sheriff’s Office]. It’s closed for a cause, as a result of we will’t get down it. We’re not going to go on the market and attempt to get to somebody after we know we will’t,” mentioned Osmond.
For those who do develop into stranded Sheriff Osmond says don’t go away your automobile and try to stroll. Name emergency companies and be affected person.
Vacationers can take a proactive strategy concerning highway circumstances by viewing the upgraded Nebraska 511 Superior Traveler System. Along with viewing reside cameras, highway studies, and closure data, the system now contains reside climate radar that may enable vacationers to watch storms as they transfer by means of Nebraska. Know Earlier than You Go – Test 511.nebraska.gov or the Nebraska 511 app.
Vacationers are additionally inspired to make the most of NDOT’s Plow Tracker at https://plows.nebraska.gov/index.html the place the general public will be capable to observe highway circumstances in real-time from the cabs of NDOT snowplows. Please observe that climate circumstances are sometimes worse than they seem on digicam.
With snowplows out on the roads, vacationers are also urged to be cautious and courteous to these working them, ensuring to:
- Decelerate as you strategy plows. They journey slowly, often 25 to 30 mph or much less.
- Keep nicely behind plows to present you and them loads of room. When touring exterior of a enterprise or residential district, it’s illegal to comply with a freeway upkeep automobile (snowplow, truck or grader) extra intently than 100 toes when it’s plowing snow, spreading salt or sand, or displaying a flashing amber or blue gentle.
- By no means move a plow on the suitable – snowplows are geared up with “wing plows” which lengthen past the truck itself.
- Know the place plows are and actions they could be taking whereas they plow snow.
For safe-driving suggestions and winter climate data, go to NDOT’s web site,