Transportation-related incidents accounted for 49,430 on-the-job accidents in 2019, based on Injury Facts, a Nationwide Security Council statistics database. One purpose for these accidents? Staff who’re driving distracted. NSC says driver distractions fall into three classes: visible, guide and cognitive. One motion suits into all three: Cellphone use whereas driving.
Utilizing your cellphone behind the wheel will increase your danger of a crash fourfold. NSC provides suggestions for staying secure:
- Flip off cellphones whereas driving, or put cellphones in your automobile’s trunk to withstand temptation. One other suggestion is to document a voicemail greeting that tells callers you’re driving and can return their name once you arrive at your vacation spot. Or, contemplate switching your cellphone to “Do Not Disturb” mode.
- Don’t make or reply cellphone calls, even with hands-free and voice recognition units. If you happen to should make an emergency name, go away the highway and park in a secure space.
- Don’t ship or learn textual content messages or emails.
- If you happen to’re driving with a passenger, enable them to function the cellphone.
- Program instructions into your navigation system earlier than you allow. Allow the audible instructions characteristic so GPS can verbally share step-by-step instructions.
NSC acknowledges April as Distracted Driving Consciousness Month. Go to distracteddriving.nsc.org for extra info.