BOISE, Idaho – (KIFI) – The COVID-19 pandemic and related stay-at-home orders had a profound impact on driving conduct.
In line with AAA, the typical variety of each day journeys taken by Individuals dropped by 40% in April 2020 when in comparison with pre-pandemic ranges, earlier than leveling off to a 25% discount for the rest of final 12 months.
For AAA’s new American Driving Survey, U.S. residents had been requested about their each day driving habits earlier than and in the course of the pandemic, with the outcomes measured alongside a number of key demographics.
Among the many highlights of AAA’s newest analysis:
- From July to December 2019, respondents reported making a mean of almost 4 journeys per day. That quantity dropped to a few in March of 2020, and two in April of final 12 months.
- Early within the pandemic, giant decreases in journey had been noticed amongst all age teams, however on a share foundation, adults aged 65 and older made a mean of 53% fewer journeys per day in April 2020 than they did within the latter half of 2019.
- Respondents with greater ranges of training decreased their journey in the course of the pandemic to a better diploma than these with decrease ranges of training.
“The entire work that’s been going down in the course of the pandemic has been critically necessary to our high quality of life,” AAA Idaho spokesman Matthew Conde mentioned. “Relying on the character of the work being carried out, some duties have been extra site-dependent, whereas others could possibly be carried out remotely, impacting the variety of journeys that folks accomplished all through the day.”
- In the course of the peak of the pandemic, individuals dwelling in metropolitan areas lowered their journey from almost 4 journeys per day to only over two per day – a 42% discount – in contrast with a 25% discount by individuals in non-metro areas, the place there have been possible fewer choices for meals and grocery deliveries to their houses and different providers. Nevertheless, by the latter half of 2020, residents in each metro and non-metro areas leveled off their journey to a 20%-30% dip from the second half of 2019.
- Reductions in each day journeys in the course of the pandemic had been extra pronounced for shared modes of journey, together with public transportation and ridesharing or ride-hailing providers. The proportion of the inhabitants who used these modes of journey fell from a each day common of 5.5% within the second half of 2019 to 1.7% in April of 2020 and a mean of two.4% for the rest of the 12 months.
- Within the months earlier than the pandemic, the proportion of people that stayed in the identical place fluctuated from 9%-14% on a given day however jumped to 26% in April 2020.
“Survey respondents aged 65 years and older had been the probably to remain residence all day in the course of the peak of the pandemic, however the greatest enhance occurred amongst youthful age teams,” Conde mentioned. “Clearly, with journey restrictions and loads of uncertainty within the combine, individuals needed to do the most effective they might with an unprecedented scenario.”
- Males had been extra possible than ladies to remain in the identical place in March 2020, however within the following months, the proportion of ladies who stayed in the identical place all day exceeded that of males.
- The most important enhance in individuals staying at residence all day occurred amongst married respondents.
- Reductions in work-related journey had been bigger than reductions in non-work-related journey.
AAA is worried in regards to the enhance in deaths on U.S. roads in the course of the pandemic. In line with the Nationwide Freeway Visitors Security Administration, almost 39,000 individuals died in site visitors crashes in 2020, a 7% enhance from 2019, and the most individuals killed on American roads since 2007.
Consultants level to some potential contributing components, resembling elevated speeds made attainable by lowered congestion, lowered regulation enforcement because of precautions surrounding private contact, and elevated use of impairing substances in the course of the pandemic. “There’s little doubt that we have to flip the tide, however the roads are solely going to get busier, so it must occur now,” Conde mentioned. = “We ask everybody to please renew their deal with protected driving.”