AUSTIN (KXAN) — Very early Sunday morning, the Texas Senate voted to approve a invoice that will overhaul voting guidelines within the Lone Star State. Now, it heads to the desk of Governor Greg Abbott to be signed into regulation.
Senate Bill 7 will make a number of modifications to voter registration, voting by mail, early voting and poll counting.
Republican lawmakers in Texas have pushed the laws. It comes amid a nationwide push by the GOP to crack down on alleged voter fraud. Main components of the “election safety” of the invoice embody a requirement to stay stream counting of ballots and verification of signatures.
Earlier this week, and all through the legislative session, Abbott has harassed urgency in securing Texas’ elections. Though there is no such thing as a proof of widespread voter fraud within the 2020 Election, Abbott nonetheless has made legal guidelines like SB 7 emergency precedence.
SB 7 would create the these modifications:
- Ban mail-in poll drop packing containers
- Ban most drive-thru voting
- Restrict prolonged early voting hours
- Require voters with disabilities to show they’ll’t get to polls in an effort to get mail-in ballots
- Permit partisan ballot watchers to file voters who obtain assist filling out their ballots
- Forbid native election officers from encouraging voters to fill out functions to vote by mail — even when they qualify
However President Joe Biden has referred to as the invoice an try at voter restriction, saying partially:
“It’s a part of an assault on democracy that we’ve seen far too usually this yr — and infrequently disproportionately focusing on Black and Brown People. Within the twenty first century, we ought to be making it simpler, not more durable, for each eligible voter to vote.”
President Joe Biden
KXAN will replace this story with extra info because it turns into out there.
Extra from MyHighPlains.com: