The Texas Division of Public Security in Lubbock and across the state is urging drivers to journey safely as they shut out Might and head into the Memorial Day vacation.
Beginning Monday, and persevering with by means of Monday, Might 31, Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers will take part in Click on It or Ticket, an enforcement marketing campaign to encourage individuals to put on their seatbelt, in addition to Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness Discount Effort), on the lookout for drivers who’re intoxicated, dashing or breaking different visitors legal guidelines, in keeping with a DPS information launch.
Troopers may even look ahead to drivers not following the state’s Transfer Over, Gradual Down legislation.
“Roads throughout the state are getting busier as individuals start summer time journey,” mentioned DPS Director Steven McCraw within the launch. “With Memorial Day on the finish of the month, we encourage Texans, and guests to our state, to give attention to the intent of the day — remembering those that gave their lives serving our nation. Honor these sacrifices by doing all your half to remain secure on the highway. Buckle your seat belt, obey all visitors legal guidelines and don’t drink and drive.”
Throughout the 2020 Memorial Day weekend, troopers issued greater than 27,000 citations and warnings. This included greater than 10,600 warnings and citations for dashing and greater than 1,000 warnings and citations for seat belt and baby security restraint violations.
DPS enforcement efforts additionally included 288 DWI citations, 409 fugitive arrests and 77 felony arrests.
Highway security suggestions
DPS encourages drivers to observe these security suggestions forward of the anticipated enhance in visitors for Memorial Day weekend:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans in case you are consuming alcohol.
• Transfer Over or Gradual Down for police, hearth, EMS, Texas Division of Transportation
(TxDOT) autos and tow vans stopped on the facet of the highway with emergency lights
activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the facet of the
highway. Thus far in 2021, there have been 5,645 violations.
• Buckle up everybody within the automobile — it’s the legislation.
• Decelerate, particularly in dangerous climate, heavy visitors, unfamiliar areas or building
• Eradicate distractions whereas driving, together with the usage of cellular gadgets. Texas legislation
prohibits the usage of moveable wi-fi gadgets to learn, write or ship an email correspondence except the automobile is stopped. If you happen to’re utilizing a navigation system or app, have a passenger function it so you’ll be able to maintain your eyes on the highway.
• Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current further challenges.
• On multi-lane roadways, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous
driving and avoids impeding visitors, Texas legislation requires slower visitors to maintain to the appropriate
and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
• If you happen to can Steer It, Clear It: In case you are concerned in a non-injury crash and your automobile
may be moved, clear the visitors lanes to attenuate visitors influence. Leaving autos in a
visitors lane will increase visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat
of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, for those who don’t transfer your automobile when
it’s secure to take action, it’s towards the legislation.
• Verify your automobile to verify it’s correctly maintained and all the time guarantee your cargo is safe.
• Report highway hazards or something suspicious to the closest legislation enforcement company.
• Monitor climate and highway situations wherever you might be touring. For highway situations
and closures in Texas, go to Drive Texas.