AUSTIN — The Texas Division of Public Security is reminding drivers to journey safely as we shut out Could and head into the Memorial Day vacation.
By Monday, Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers will take part in Click on It or Ticket, an enforcement marketing campaign to encourage folks to put on their seat belt, in addition to Operation Crash Consciousness Discount Effort, on the lookout for drivers who’re intoxicated, dashing or breaking different site visitors legal guidelines. Troopers can even look ahead to drivers not following the state’s Transfer Over, Sluggish Down legislation.
“Roads throughout the state are getting busier as folks start summer season journey,” DPS Director Steven McCraw mentioned. “With Memorial Day on the finish of the month, we encourage Texans, and guests to our state, to deal with the intent of the day — remembering those that gave their lives serving our nation. Honor these sacrifices by doing all of your half to remain secure on the street. Buckle your seat belt, obey all site visitors legal guidelines and don’t drink and drive.”
Through the 2020 Memorial Day weekend, troopers issued greater than 27,000 citations and warnings. This included greater than 10,600 warnings and citations for dashing and greater than 1,000 warnings and citations for seat belt and little one security restraint violations. DPS enforcement efforts additionally included 288 DWI citations, 409 fugitive arrests and 77 felony arrests.
DPS encourages drivers to comply with these security ideas for Memorial Day weekend:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans in case you are consuming alcohol.
• Transfer Over or Sluggish Down for police, hearth, EMS, Texas Division of Transportation autos and tow vans stopped on the facet of the street with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the facet of the street. Thus far in 2021, there have been 5,645 violations.
• Buckle up everybody within the car — it’s the legislation.
• Decelerate, particularly in dangerous climate, heavy site visitors, unfamiliar areas or development zones.
• Get rid of distractions whereas driving, together with using cell gadgets. Texas legislation prohibits using moveable wi-fi gadgets to learn, write or ship an email correspondence except the car is stopped. If you happen to’re utilizing a navigation system or app, have a passenger function it so you possibly can hold your eyes on the street.
• Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current further challenges.
• On multi-lane roads, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous driving and avoids impeding site visitors, Texas legislation requires slower site visitors to maintain to the correct and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
• If you happen to can Steer It, Clear It: If you’re concerned in a non-injury crash and your car might be moved, clear the site visitors lanes to reduce site visitors influence. Leaving autos in a site visitors lane will increase site visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, if you happen to don’t transfer your car when it’s secure to take action, it’s towards the legislation.
• Test your car to ensure it’s correctly maintained and all the time guarantee your cargo is safe.
• Report street hazards or something suspicious to the closest legislation enforcement company.
• Monitor climate and street circumstances wherever you might be touring. For street circumstances and closures in Texas, go to Drive Texas.