SAN ANGELO — An off-duty San Angelo police officer was arrested Saturday on prices he drove whereas drunk, in response to a information launch.
On Saturday, March 13, 2021, troopers with the Texas Division of Public Security (DPS) arrested 54-year-old Abel Nandin of San Angelo after they suspected him of driving whereas intoxicated.
He was off-duty when the incident occurred, a launch said.
Officers launched Nandin later Saturday on a $1,000 bond.
Nandin, who has served with the San Angelo Police Division for 22 years, can be topic to each legal and administrative investigations, the discharge said.
DPS introduced crackdown on reckless Texas drivers in Texas throughout Spring Break
Two days earlier than Nandin’s arrested, officers with DPS introduced troopers deliberate to “step up enforcement efforts” throughout spring break.
“DPS Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers will enhance visitors enforcement as a part of Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness and Discount Effort) from March 13 by means of March 21, together with St. Patrick’s Day,” a information launch said.
DPS Director Steven McCraw inspired drivers in Texas to be accountable whereas on the state’s highways.
“Spring break could be a time of enjoyable, however we wish the folks of Texas and guests to our state to take pleasure in themselves responsibly,” McCraw said.
“The general public can assist our Troopers by driving safely and obeying visitors legal guidelines. DPS will be part of different legislation enforcement businesses in patrolling our highways to assist maintain them secure from reckless drivers or anybody who isn’t following the legislation.”
In the course of the subsequent week, troopers will search for “intoxicated drivers, speeders, folks not sporting their seat belts and different violations,” the discharge said.
DPS issued greater than 59,000 tickets throughout Spring Break 2020
In the course of the 2020 Spring Break enforcement effort, DPS Troopers issued greater than 59,000 citations and warnings, together with 5,580 rushing citations and 824 seat belt and youngster seat violations, a information launch said.
Troopers additionally made 398 driving whereas intoxicated arrests, 315 fugitive arrests and 175 felony arrests.
To encourage drivers to have a secure vacation, DPS supplied the next ideas:
- Don’t drink and drive. Should you plan to have alcohol exterior of your own home, designate a driver or take alternate transportation.
- Transfer Over or Sluggish Down for police, hearth, EMS, Texas Division of Transportation autos and tow vans stopped on the aspect of the highway with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped.
- Decelerate, particularly in unhealthy climate, heavy visitors, unfamiliar areas or development zones.
- Buckle up everybody within the car — it’s the legislation.
- Remove distractions whereas driving, together with using cellular gadgets. Texas legislation prohibits using transportable wi-fi gadgets to learn, write or ship an electronic mail except the car is stopped. Additionally, should you’re utilizing a navigation gadget or app, have a passenger function it so you’ll be able to maintain your eyes on the highway.
- Should you can Steer It, Clear It. If you’re concerned in a non-injury crash and your car might be moved, clear the visitors lanes. On some highways, should you don’t transfer your car when it’s secure to take action, it’s in opposition to the legislation.
- Don’t drive fatigued — permit loads of time to succeed in your vacation spot.
- Monitor climate and highway situations wherever you’re touring
Rosanna Fraire covers leisure, issues to do and trending information in West Texas. Ship her information ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org.