DPS reminds drivers to journey secure and supplies an inventory of security ideas
AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas Division of Public Security reminds drivers to journey safely because the month of Might closes out and heads into the Memorial Day vacation. Beginning Monday, Might 24 via Monday, Might 31, Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers will have interaction in Click on It or Ticket, an enforcement marketing campaign encouraging folks to put on their seat belt. They may also take part in Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness Discount Effort), in search of drivers who’re intoxicated, rushing or breaking different site visitors legal guidelines. Troopers may also hold a watch out for these not following the state’s Transfer Over, Gradual Down regulation.
“Roads throughout the state are getting busier as folks start summer season journey,” mentioned DPS Director Steven McCraw. “With Memorial Day on the finish of the month, we encourage Texans, and guests to our state, to concentrate on the intent of the day — remembering those that gave their lives serving our nation. Honor these sacrifices by doing all of your half to remain secure on the street. Buckle your seat belt, obey all site visitors legal guidelines and don’t drink and drive.”
Troopers issued greater than 27,000 citations and warning through the 2020 Memorial Day weekend, together with greater than 10,600 warnings and citations for rushing and greater than 1,000 warning and citations for seat belt and baby security restraint violations. 288 DWI citations, 409 fugitive arrests and 77 felony arrests have been additionally included in DPS enforcement efforts.
Listed here are a number of security ideas for Memorial Day weekend that DPS encourages drivers to observe:
- Don’t drink and drive, and make different plans if you’re consuming alcohol.
- Transfer Over or Gradual Down for police, hearth, EMS, Texas Division of Transportation (TxDOT) autos and tow vans stopped on the aspect of the street with emergency lights activated. Additionally, present the identical respect to different drivers who’re stopped on the aspect of the street. In 2021, there have been 5,645 violations to date.
- Buckle up everybody within the car — it’s the regulation.
- Decelerate, particularly in harmful situations corresponding to unhealthy climate, heavy site visitors, unfamiliar areas or building zones.
- Keep away from distractions whereas driving, together with the usage of cellular units. In response to Texas regulation, the usage of moveable wi-fi units to learn, write or ship an electronic mail, except the car is stopped, is prohibited. When utilizing a navigation system or app, have a passenger handle it, and hold your eyes on the street.
- Contemplating vacation journey can current extra challenges, drive defensively.
- Use the left lane for passing solely, on multi-lane roads. It’s thought-about courteous driving and avoids impeding site visitors. In response to Texas regulation, slower site visitors is required to maintain proper and to make use of left lane when passing solely (when posted).
- Should you can Steer It, Clear It, that means if you’re concerned in a non-injury crash and your car might be moved, clear the site visitors lanes to cut back site visitors influence. Leaving autos in a site visitors lane will increase site visitors congestion and poses threat of hurt or secondary wrecks for these concerned. On some highways it’s towards the regulation to not transfer your car when its secure to take action.
- Examine your car to make sure it’s correctly maintained and your cargo is safe.
- Report street hazards or something suspicious to the closest regulation enforcement company.
- Maintain observe of climate and street situations wherever you’re touring. Go to Drive Texas for data on street situations and closures in Texas.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY CROSSROADS TODAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.