AUSTIN – The Texas Division of Public Security shall be rising the variety of Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers on the highway from Friday, July 2, by Monday, July 5, as a part of Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness Discount and Effort) and Operation Vacation. DPS Troopers shall be on the roads in search of drivers who’re dashing, driving whereas intoxicated or not their sporting seat belts.
“Celebrating the Fourth of July and our nation’s freedom is a joyous time, however we should take our duties on the highway severely,” stated DPS Director Steven McCraw. “Please bear in mind to drive rigorously and obey all visitors legal guidelines to make sure everybody can benefit from the vacation.”
Operation Vacation will run on Saturday and Sunday, and targets drivers who violate visitors legal guidelines. In the course of the 2020 marketing campaign, there have been 39,913 citations and warnings. This consists of 15,821 warnings and citations for dashing, in addition to greater than 1,100 warnings and citations for seat belt and youngster security restraint violations. DPS enforcement efforts additionally included 308 DWI citations, 453 felony arrests and 101 fugitive arrests.
Operation CARE runs from July 2 by July 5, and focuses on lowering crashes and violations of the state’s Transfer Over, Gradual Down legislation. From Jan. 1 by June 18 of 2021, there have been 7,036 Transfer Over, Gradual Down violations. The legislation requires drivers to decelerate when automobiles — together with police, fireplace, EMS, TxDOT automobiles and tow vehicles — are stopped on the facet of the highway with emergency lights activated.
DPS affords the next security suggestions for folks driving throughout the Fourth of July vacation:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans when you’re consuming alcohol.
• Transfer Over or Gradual Down for police, fireplace, EMS, TxDOT automobiles and tow vehicles stopped on the facet of the highway with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the facet of the highway.
• Buckle up everybody within the car — it’s the legislation.
• Decelerate, particularly in unhealthy climate, heavy visitors, unfamiliar areas or building zones.
• Remove distractions whereas driving, together with using cell units. Texas legislation prohibits using moveable wi-fi units to learn, write or ship an email correspondence until the car is stopped. When you’re utilizing a navigation gadget or app, have a passenger function it so you possibly can preserve your eyes on the highway.
• Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current extra challenges.
• On multi-lane roads, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous driving and avoids impeding visitors, Texas legislation requires slower visitors to maintain to the fitting and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
• When you can Steer It, Clear It: If you’re concerned in a non-injury crash and your car might be moved, clear the visitors lanes to reduce visitors affect. Leaving automobiles in a visitors lane will increase visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, when you don’t transfer your car when it’s protected to take action, you’re violating the legislation.
• Test your car to ensure it’s correctly maintained and at all times guarantee your cargo is safe.
• Report highway hazards or something suspicious to the closest legislation enforcement company.
• Monitor climate and highway situations wherever you’re touring. For highway situations and closures in Texas, go to Drive Texas.