AUSTIN, Texas (Texas Division of Public Security) – The Texas Division of Public Security (DPS) might be growing the variety of Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers on the highway from Friday, July 2, by means of Monday, July 5, as a part of Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness Discount and Effort) and Operation Vacation. DPS Troopers might be on the roads on the lookout for drivers who’re rushing, driving whereas intoxicated or not their sporting seat belts.
“Celebrating the Fourth of July and our nation’s freedom is a joyous time, however we should take our tasks on the highway significantly,” mentioned DPS Director Steven McCraw. “Please bear in mind to drive fastidiously and obey all site visitors legal guidelines to make sure everybody can benefit from the vacation.”
Operation Vacation will run on Saturday and Sunday, and targets drivers who violate site visitors legal guidelines. Through the 2020 marketing campaign, there have been 39,913 citations and warnings. This consists of 15,821 warnings and citations for rushing, in addition to greater than 1,100 warnings and citations for seat belt and youngster security restraint violations. DPS enforcement efforts additionally included 308 DWI citations, 453 felony arrests and 101 fugitive arrests.
Operation CARE runs from July 2 by means of July 5, and focuses on decreasing crashes and violations of the state’s Transfer Over, Gradual Down legislation. From Jan. 1 by means of June 18 of 2021, there have been 7,036 Transfer Over, Gradual Down violations. The legislation requires drivers to decelerate when automobiles — together with police, fireplace, EMS, TxDOT automobiles and tow vehicles — are stopped on the aspect of the highway with emergency lights activated.
DPS affords the next security suggestions for folks driving in the course of the Fourth of July vacation:
- Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans in the event you’re consuming alcohol.
- Transfer Over or Gradual Down for police, fireplace, EMS, TxDOT automobiles and tow vehicles stopped on the aspect of the highway with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the aspect of the highway.
- Buckle up everybody within the automobile — it’s the legislation.
- Decelerate, particularly in dangerous climate, heavy site visitors, unfamiliar areas or development zones.
- Remove distractions whereas driving, together with the usage of cellular units. Texas legislation prohibits the usage of moveable wi-fi units to learn, write or ship an email correspondence except the automobile is stopped. In case you’re utilizing a navigation system or app, have a passenger function it so you’ll be able to maintain your eyes on the highway.
- Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current further challenges.
- On multi-lane roads, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous driving and avoids impeding site visitors, Texas legislation requires slower site visitors to maintain to the precise and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
- In case you can Steer It, Clear It: In case you are concerned in a non-injury crash and your automobile will be moved, clear the site visitors lanes to reduce site visitors affect. Leaving automobiles in a site visitors lane will increase site visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, in the event you don’t transfer your automobile when it’s secure to take action, you’re violating the legislation.
- Examine your automobile to ensure it’s correctly maintained and all the time guarantee your cargo is safe.
- Report highway hazards or something suspicious to the closest legislation enforcement company.
- Monitor climate and highway circumstances wherever you’re touring. For highway circumstances and closures in Texas, go to Drive Texas.