AUSTIN – The Texas Division of Public Security might be growing the variety of Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers on the highway from Friday by Monday as a part of Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness Discount and Effort) and Operation Vacation.
DPS Troopers might be on the roads in search of drivers who’re dashing, driving whereas intoxicated or not their carrying seat belts.
“Celebrating the Fourth of July and our nation’s freedom is a joyous time, however we should take our duties on the highway critically,” mentioned DPS Director Steven McCraw. “Please keep in mind to drive fastidiously and obey all site visitors legal guidelines to make sure everybody can benefit from the vacation.”
Operation Vacation will run on Saturday and Sunday, and targets drivers who violate site visitors legal guidelines. In the course of the 2020 marketing campaign, there have been 39,913 citations and warnings. This consists of 15,821 warnings and citations for dashing, in addition to greater than 1,100 warnings and citations for seat belt and baby security restraint violations. DPS enforcement efforts additionally included 308 DWI citations, 453 felony arrests and 101 fugitive arrests.
Operation CARE runs from July 2 by July 5, and focuses on decreasing crashes and violations of the state’s Transfer Over, Gradual Down legislation. From Jan. 1 by June 18 of 2021, there have been 7,036 Transfer Over, Gradual Down violations. The legislation requires drivers to decelerate when automobiles — together with police, fireplace, EMS, TxDOT automobiles and tow vans — are stopped on the facet of the highway with emergency lights activated.
DPS affords the next security suggestions for folks driving through the Fourth of July vacation:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans in case you’re consuming alcohol.
• Transfer Over or Gradual Down for police, fireplace, EMS, TxDOT automobiles and tow vans stopped on the facet of the highway with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the facet of the highway.
• Buckle up everybody within the car — it’s the legislation.
• Decelerate, particularly in unhealthy climate, heavy site visitors, unfamiliar areas or building zones.
• Get rid of distractions whereas driving, together with the usage of cellular units. Texas legislation prohibits the usage of transportable wi-fi units to learn, write or ship an email correspondence until the car is stopped. In the event you’re utilizing a navigation gadget or app, have a passenger function it so you’ll be able to preserve your eyes on the highway.
• Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current extra challenges.
• On multi-lane roads, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous driving and avoids impeding site visitors, Texas legislation requires slower site visitors to maintain to the fitting and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
• In the event you can Steer It, Clear It: In case you are concerned in a non-injury crash and your car could be moved, clear the site visitors lanes to attenuate site visitors impression. Leaving automobiles in a site visitors lane will increase site visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, in case you don’t transfer your car when it’s protected to take action, you’re violating the legislation.
• Verify your car to verify it’s correctly maintained and at all times guarantee your cargo is safe.
• Report highway hazards or something suspicious to the closest legislation enforcement company.
• Monitor climate and highway situations wherever you’re touring. For highway situations and closures in Texas, go to drivetexas.org