AUSTIN – The Texas Division of Public Security (DPS) needs to remind drivers to journey safely as we shut out Might and head into the Memorial Day vacation.
Monday, Might 24, by Monday, Might 31, Texas Freeway Patrol Troopers will take part in Click on It or Ticket, an enforcement marketing campaign to encourage folks to put on their seat belt, in addition to Operation CARE (Crash Consciousness Discount Effort), on the lookout for drivers who’re intoxicated, dashing or breaking different visitors legal guidelines. Troopers may also look ahead to drivers not following the state’s Transfer Over, Gradual Down legislation.
“Roads throughout the state are getting busier as folks start summer time journey,” mentioned DPS Director Steven McCraw. “With Memorial Day on the finish of the month, we encourage Texans, and guests to our state, to concentrate on the intent of the day — remembering those that gave their lives serving our nation. Honor these sacrifices by doing all of your half to remain secure on the highway. Buckle your seat belt, obey all visitors legal guidelines and don’t drink and drive.”
In the course of the 2020 Memorial Day weekend, Troopers issued greater than 27,000 citations and warnings. This included greater than 10,600 warnings and citations for dashing and greater than 1,000 warnings and citations for seat belt and little one security restraint violations. DPS enforcement efforts additionally included 288 DWI citations, 409 fugitive arrests and 77 felony arrests.
DPS encourages drivers to comply with these security suggestions for Memorial Day weekend:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make alternate plans in case you are consuming alcohol.
• Transfer Over or Gradual Down for police, fireplace, EMS, Texas Division of Transportation (TxDOT) autos and tow vehicles stopped on the facet of the highway with emergency lights activated. Present the identical courtesy to fellow drivers who’re stopped on the facet of the highway. Thus far in 2021, there have been 5,645 violations.
• Buckle up everybody within the automobile — it’s the legislation.
• Decelerate, particularly in dangerous climate, heavy visitors, unfamiliar areas or building zones.
• Eradicate distractions whereas driving, together with using cellular units. Texas legislation prohibits using transportable wi-fi units to learn, write or ship an electronic mail until the automobile is stopped. If you happen to’re utilizing a navigation system or app, have a passenger function it so you possibly can maintain your eyes on the highway.
• Drive defensively, as vacation journey can current extra challenges.
• On multi-lane roads, use the left lane for passing solely. Not solely is it courteous driving and avoids impeding visitors, Texas legislation requires slower visitors to maintain to the correct and to make use of the left lane for passing solely (when posted).
• If you happen to can Steer It, Clear It: In case you are concerned in a non-injury crash and your automobile could be moved, clear the visitors lanes to attenuate visitors impression. Leaving autos in a visitors lane will increase visitors congestion and leaves these concerned with an elevated threat of hurt or a secondary wreck. On some highways, for those who don’t transfer your automobile when it’s secure to take action, it’s in opposition to the legislation.
• Examine your automobile to ensure it’s correctly maintained and at all times guarantee your cargo is safe.
• Report highway hazards or something suspicious to the closest legislation enforcement company.
• Monitor climate and highway circumstances wherever you’re touring. For highway circumstances and closures in Texas, go to drivetexas.org