Prematurely of the Fourth of July, the town of Mesquite kicked off an academic marketing campaign to warn residents concerning the penalties of fireworks, celebratory gunfire and driving whereas intoxicated.
The Celebrate Safely campaign is a community-wide public training effort that will probably be coupled with escalated regulation enforcement and fireplace employees presence into neighborhoods throughout the town.
“Our message to these in Mesquite with fireworks is that our deployment groups will probably be out locally, and we are going to seize your unlawful fireworks and problem you a quotation,” metropolis supervisor Cliff Keheley mentioned in a launch.
“And, for many who select to take part in celebratory gunfire or drive whereas intoxicated, we are going to arrest you.”
Residents can report unlawful use of fireworks by calling 972-204-4888 and name 911 in the event that they witness gunfire or suspected DWI.
The town can be providing free yard indicators for residents in English and Spanish to get the phrase out. Starting Thursday, indicators will probably be obtainable whereas provides final on the following places:
- Parks and Recreation Administration, 1515 N. Galloway Ave., 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays.
- Evans Recreation Heart, 1116 Hillcrest St., 9 a.m.-9 p.m. weekdays; 1-6 p.m. Sunday.
- Florence Recreation Heart, 2501 Whitson Manner, 6-9 p.m. weekdays; 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday; 1-6 p.m. Sunday.
- Goodbar Senior Heart, 3000 Harmony Drive, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
- Rutherford Senior Heart, 900 Rutherford Drive, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Saturday
Residents will probably be required to supply the tackle they plan to put the signal at upon pickup. Indicators ought to solely be positioned on non-public property.
In line with the town, penalties for fireworks, gunfire and DWI in Mesquite embrace:
- As much as $17,000 in fines, potential jail time and lack of a driver’s license for drivers who obtain a DWI.
- As a lot as $4,000 and the potential of as much as one 12 months in jail for the unlawful discharge of a firearm.
- As much as $835 in metropolis fines and court docket prices for the discharge of unlawful fireworks.
- As much as $585 in metropolis fines and court docket prices for the possession of unlawful fireworks.
To report unlawful gunfire, fireworks and suspected DWI incidents for the Fourth of July weekend, residents are inspired to contact the next strains: