This Thanksgiving vacation, the Richland County DUI Job Drive and Richland County Well being Division is teaming up with U.S. Division of Transportation’s Nationwide Freeway Visitors Security Administration (NHTSA) to unfold the message that impaired driving of any variety — drugged or drunk — is harmful and unlawful. Earlier than heading out to any vacation occasion, keep in mind: If You Really feel Completely different, You Drive Completely different.
In the course of the lengthy vacation weekend, we need to encourage constructive actions that may assist cut back impaired driving on the roadways. Nationally, it’s unlawful to drive impaired — no exceptions. In case you are underneath the affect of any impairing substance, hand the keys to a sober pal as a substitute of driving your self.
It’s our mission to assist be sure you make it to the Thanksgiving desk, so we would like our group members to remain protected on the roads throughout the Thanksgiving vacation. That is the kick off to an exquisite time of 12 months, and we solely need individuals making completely happy reminiscences. Driving underneath the affect is lethal, unlawful, and nobody ought to ever take that threat.
Drunk-driving-related crashes spike throughout the Thanksgiving vacation season. In response to NHTSA, from 2015 to 2019, 135 drivers concerned in deadly crashes on Thanksgiving Eve (6 p.m.-5:59 a.m.) have been alcohol-impaired, and over all the vacation interval (6 p.m. the Wednesday earlier than Thanksgiving by way of 5:59 a.m. the Monday after Thanksgiving), almost 800 individuals died in alcohol-impaired crashes. In actual fact, throughout the 2019 Thanksgiving vacation interval, greater than 4 instances as many drivers concerned in deadly crashes have been alcohol-impaired throughout nighttime hours than throughout the day.
In terms of marijuana use, particularly, the legal guidelines are altering throughout the nation, however that doesn’t change the truth that it’s an impairing substance, and any impairment is a risk once you’re behind the wheel of a car. We’re asking our group members to please make good choices throughout the lengthy vacation and decide to sober driving.
Choices to Get
In the event you’re planning to move out to the bar or events throughout the Thanksgiving vacation, be sure you plan for a protected trip residence. In the event you depart your home unprepared to get residence safely, you might not make your best option of easy methods to get residence on the finish of the evening. Listed here are just a few suggestions that can assist you put together for a protected evening out.
• In case you have used an impairing substance similar to marijuana or alcohol, don’t drive. Passengers ought to by no means trip with an impaired driver. In the event you suppose a driver could also be impaired, don’t get within the automotive.
• In the event you’re planning to make use of medication or drink, plan forward for a sober driver to soundly drive you to your vacation spot. It’s by no means okay to drive whereas impaired by any substance.
• Do you’ve got a pal who’s about to drive whereas impaired? Take the keys away and organize to get them residence safely. Don’t fear about offending somebody — they’ll thanks later.
• If obtainable, use your group’s sober trip program or the Sidney Shuttle.
• In the event you see an impaired driver on the street, contact the Richland County Sheriff Division Dispatch by dialing 911.
It doesn’t matter what time period you employ: If an individual is feeling slightly excessive, buzzed, stoned, wasted, or drunk, she or he mustn’t get behind the wheel.
Have a Secure and Comfortable Thanksgiving, from all of us on the Richland County Well being Division.
In case you have any questions, want some extra data or wish to be a member of the Harm Prevention/DUI Job Drive please contact Don Smies, Coordinator, 406-433-2207. Test us out on Fb, http://www.facebook.com/RichlandCountyHealthDepartment.