From police reform to pandemic response, the adjustments to Utah insurance policies made by lawmakers through the annual legislative session that led to March will start on Wednesday.
Right here’s a have a look at the affect a number of the 502 payments handed by the 2021 Legislature may have in your life.
- In DUI accidents involving critical damage or loss of life, HB47, also called “Sarah’s Invoice,” allows courts to refuse releasing a suspect on bail if the courtroom finds they are going to be a hazard to the neighborhood if launched.
- Those that commit home violence and have already got two earlier home violence convictions throughout the final 10 years will see enhanced penalties as a consequence of SB64.
- These convicted of murder who haven’t cooperated within the restoration of the sufferer’s stays will probably be denied parole beneath SB124.
- HB26 makes a 24/7 sobriety pilot program everlasting for first-time DUI offenders and permits them to keep away from suspension of their driver’s license.
- Prompted by outrage when it was found an officer shared intimate photos of slain College of Utah scholar Lauren McCluskey after her loss of life, HB147 allows revenge porn charges to be brought in cases where a law enforcement officer shared images inappropriately, even when the sufferer has died.
Our well being
- In an effort to permit extra sources to reply to future well being emergencies, SB27 expands the scope of physician assistants to allow them to observe with out the supervision of a doctor after assembly sure expertise necessities. Likewise, SB28 permits P.A.s to independently supply psychological well being remedy after assembly sure standards.
- SB41 requires a well being profit plan to reimburse for telehealth providers for a psychological well being situation if the identical service is roofed for in-person visits.
- Two bills seek to change the way first responders approach mental health crises: SB47 will begin the method to standardize disaster intervention coaching for legislation enforcement throughout the state, as companies every have their very own variations of it, whereas SB53 creates a path for EMTs to turn into skilled and licensed to reply to psychological well being emergencies.
- Beneath SB63, spouses who function caregivers to a associate with a bodily or mental incapacity may get reimbursed by Medicaid.
- Biological fathers will need to pay 50% of a pregnant mother’s out-of-pocket medical bills and insurance coverage premiums if she requests it via HB113.
- County jails will need to provide female inmates the birth control they had been on earlier than their incarceration beneath HB102, which stays in place via a pilot program till 2022.
- To take away what lawmakers described as “bottlenecks” within the state medical marijuana program, SB170 allows any doctor to recommend medical marijuana to as much as 15 sufferers with out turning into a certified medical supplier within the Utah Medical Hashish Program. SB192 makes dozens of administrative adjustments to the medical marijuana legislation.
- SB189 modifies penalties for promoting a tobacco product, digital cigarette product or a nicotine product to a person who’s youthful than 21 years previous and makes different adjustments to legal guidelines affecting tobacco shops.
- For younger sufferers on Medicaid who’ve most cancers or different ailments that have an effect on fertility, HB192 will allow them to entry fertility preservation remedies.
- If a metropolis needs to check out new voting strategies, HB75 allows them to use ranked-choice voting methods and lets cities contract with different counties within the state to run the elections if their very own counties refuse or don’t have the sources to take action.
- Utah can now evaluate any presidential government orders via HB415, which authorizes the lawyer common or governor to declare them unconstitutional.
- In an effort to extend transparency in elections, HB173 would require elections officers to reveal what number of ballots they’ve counted of their outcomes updates, and roughly what number of nonetheless have to be counted. HB12 streamlines the method to take away deceased Utahns from the voting registry.
- HB70 will enable registered voters in Utah to obtain a textual content message or e-mail, in the event that they request it, when their poll has arrived on the elections workplace.
- After a debate about whether Utah’s current state flag needs a revamp, SB48 creates a activity drive to look into a brand new state flag design.
- HB170 permits residents to request both an e-mail or bodily mail, reminding them to resume their automobile registration.
- To guard Utah’s pursuits within the Colorado River, HB297 creates the Colorado River Authority of Utah Act because the West grows drier as a consequence of surroundings and inhabitants progress.
- HB217 creates a “sandbox” for new businesses that removes outdated laws for a yr as companies work with regulatory officers.
- A invoice that sparked heated debate, SB87 allows businesses that only dry, style, arrange, dress, curl, hot iron, shampoo or condition hair to practice without a cosmetology license in the event that they get a security allow. Returning to a number of the controversy surrounding hair braiding in Utah a number of years in the past, HB126 lets these with out cosmetology licenses apply wefts with out glue or tape.
- HB404 creates the Utah Immigration Help Heart as part of the Governor’s Workplace of Financial Growth to assist companies coordinate overseas labor.
- The purpose of SB147 is to verify all commercial egg-laying hens in Utah are cage-free by 2025.
- As “microenterprise kitchens” — run by individuals who put together and ship meals from their very own dwelling round their communities — have turn into extra widespread, HB94 requires these small-business owners to obtain a license and undergo a yearly inspection to make sure they observe well being tips.
- After some non-public sellers had been cited through the pandemic for violating a legislation that prohibits value inflation throughout emergencies, SB86 limits the scope of price controls.
- SB167 seeks to invigorate the economic system by driving movie tasks just like the present “Yellowstone” again into Utah via increased economic incentives with $8,393,700 in tax credit certificates this yr from the governor’s workplace.