When one appears to be like on the metropolis of Antioch does one consider Alternative Lives Right here? Or do you concentrate on the Mayor who obtained a DUI? A councilmember who carried out a foul-mouth rant towards the police division and by no means apologized? Possibly its an understaffed police division? Maybe a neighborhood that’s so divided its hard-to-find widespread floor.
It doesn’t matter what you could assume, failed management is a typical theme and that begins with Antioch Mayor Lamar Thorpe and why we urge each Antioch resident to sign his recall papers.
Since being elected in 2016, Thorpe has gone from somebody looking for to bridge the neighborhood to somebody deliberately dividing all of it within the identify of political wins and downside profiteering. The final time the neighborhood was really unified, was again in 2012 and that was to extend public security.
Suppose again to 2012 when the Metropolis of Antioch was within the information nearly on a regular basis for some form of crime. Shootings, stabbings, theft and assaults. That was attributable to police layoffs that took the police division down from greater than 124 officers to the low 80’s—and for a short while, even the mid-70’s. The neighborhood got here collectively and handed three tax measures starting in 2012 with a single purpose of enhancing public security and enhancing providers in Antioch.
Quick ahead to Might of 2020 , the Antioch Police Division was absolutely staffed for the primary time since 2004 at 115 officers with a line of officers wanting to come back right here. Together with the “overage”, Antioch Police had been in a position to rent 120 officers simply 1 in need of the 121 allowed.
Sadly, years of rebuilding an obliterated police pressure has been undone in lower than 7-months since former police chief Tammany Brooks retired as a result of 2-years of assaults and false propaganda throughout Thorpes rule of mayor. At the moment, Antioch Police stand at 102 officers on the books with a number of extra on their manner out within the coming weeks.
Thorpe has created this mass exodus each taking part and enabling a hostile work surroundings for Antioch Police Officers. Quite than working with police, he has chosen to be their adversary by withholding gear akin to physique cameras, tasers and automobile purchases. To undermining the police chief and officers via micromanaging coverage to flat out mendacity about incidents whereas grandstanding on the expense of officers.
Though we assist Antioch Police, we acknowledge that Antioch Law enforcement officials aren’t excellent and once they screw up, there must be penalties—eliminate dangerous and corrupt cops. I believe we will all agree with that.
However what Thorpe has finished is inexcusable and has crossed a line all within the identify of enjoying politics on the communities expense. That is now impacting the neighborhood’s security, metropolis income as companies undergo, property values will quickly go down. The one factor gained underneath the management of Thorpe is Antioch has constructed a popularity of the place folks and companies ought to keep away from.
We perceive some persons are targeted on how the mayor behaves on social media, calling recall proponents “Karen’s”, to specializing in his Napoleon advanced as a dictator, that’s all worthy of a debate and slightly annoying to see, however the motive for recalling him comes right down to a failure to guard town towards crime, addressing blight, mendacity to the general public as he speaks in half truths and making a adverse surroundings that has divided a neighborhood.
Leaders construct bridges, they don’t tear them down whereas throwing out the race card and attacking others they disagree with. For that, we imagine its time for these individuals who haven’t signed the recall paperwork to put Lamar Thorpe’s recall on the November Poll, ought to accomplish that.
We now have compiled a listing of greater than 50 the explanation why one ought to signal it. Listed below are our High 10 adopted by in chronological order the 50-years with hyperlinks to previous tales.
10: Police Reform Proposals
Whereas we agree reform is sweet, nonetheless, Thorpe has used it as a political instrument the place he accused Antioch police of many wrong-doings even after he had the info. This started again when it was shared six of the Eight Can’t Wait Gadgets had been already in place –starting with the earlier police chief Allan Cantando. Thorpe continues to make the most of half-truths and omissions of info to push nationwide rhetoric which doesn’t apply to Antioch. Once more, police reform is sweet, however the way in which Thorpe went about it was flawed and has undermined the neighborhood.
9: Abusing Advert-hoc Committees
This was finished to take away the take metropolis enterprise that must be finished in public and moved to backroom dialogue, skirting open assembly legal guidelines and report protecting. Gadgets from these committees weren’t reported out to the complete council and goes towards any type of transparency. By creating ad-hoc committees, it took the dialogue away from the dais and moved them into shadow authorities eradicating all transparency.
8: Overstepping Mayoral Bounds
Previous to being elected, Thorpe had bashed the “good ol’ boys community”. Then doubled down on the follow by first giving then metropolis supervisor Ron Bernal a sham evaluate solely to rent an under-qualified good friend in a excessive paying place. He continued this follow via the hiring of consultants, non-profits and different employees positions. Thorpe seems to have orchestrated this by forgoing correct background checks and hiring processes earlier than hiring his associates.
7: Rescinded College Useful resource Officer Grant
Underneath the earlier metropolis council, Thorpe’s first transfer was to rescind this grant even after violence at AUSD faculties was rising.They did this to suit the nationwide rhetoric which didn’t consider the protection of scholars and neighborhood. This was a choice primarily based on rhetoric and never info.The Council gave away $750k grant from the US DOJ in addition to break up prices from AUSD. This was an inexcusable reversal from the earlier council and highlighted the rift between the college district and town.
6: Mayor has Grandstanded and Lied about Residents Who Died
From the start, Thorpe lied about being notified of the dying of a resident. Electronic mail communications have proved this after Thorpe claimed he was notified a month later. Thorpe continued with the lie of knee to neck even after a press convention by the chief and a coroner’s inquest report—even after, Thorpe continues to misrepresent what occurred.
5: Blaming Companies for Crime
At this press convention, not solely did the mayor blindside the county with a probation partnership at Sycamore Sq. (by the way in which, its nonetheless not there), he blamed companies for crime whereas threatening imminent area. A transparent lack of knowledge of the regulation, an overstep of his place as mayor and only one spotlight of his anti-business mentality.
4: Lack of Management within the Tamisha Torres-Walker Incidents
The place do we start? A 9-minute anti-Antioch Police rant which the mayor personally downplayed. Even after gunshots and interfering with police at her home throughout a celebration, the mayor took no motion to censure or take away committees from Torres-Walker.
3: Muzzling the Police Communications, Withholding Crime Stats and Decreased Transparency
This can be a man who preached #TransparentAntioch. Since turning into mayor, the precise reverse has occurred after he has ordered the police division to not converse to the media, ordered division heads not to reply to the general public which has diminished all open strains of communication. Moreover, Thorpe has not allowed the police division to offer its 2020 and 2021 crime statistics. Failure to launch physique digital camera footage’s has occurred even once they may launch them. Those who disagree with him, get shut out.
2: Manufactured Outrage
Thorpe has a historical past of producing outrage in the neighborhood with phony propaganda. This turned clear after emails concerning an incident at Antioch Excessive College was uncovered. Thorpe had requested AUSD Trustee President & Antioch Metropolis Clerk Ellie Householder to start amassing letters from mother and father on the incident despite the fact that AUSD obtained no complaints. Thorpe has continued to do that a number of occasions over his time period as mayor and has been caught in half-truths—examples embrace grandstanding on the dying of a 12-year-old woman, releasing crime scene photographs, and the place he has held a number of press convention the place he made weird statements not backed up by info.
1: Withheld Police Tools till it Match Political Wants
The Mayor rewrote his personal historical past when it comes to physique cameras when he deliberately withheld putting the merchandise on the agenda per the request of the police chief. He held the gadgets for months all so he may place the merchandise earlier than the council throughout his self-proclaimed police reform month. The council additionally rejected tasers and didn’t approve police sprint cams was a bundle deal. That was a mistake as it could have saved taxpayers cash if they’d packaged the gadgets collectively. Different gadgets from autos to neighborhood cameras proceed to be delayed. The Mayor has additionally refused to put hiring extra cops on the agenda despite the fact that its been requested by three councilmembers.
Honorable Point out:
- Mayor Thorpe’s DUI
- Infantile conduct on social media from blocking residents, deleting feedback and unprofessional TikTok movies.
- Search Warrant reveals Thorpe and Metropolis Clerk Ellie Householder presumably engaged in legal conduct.
For these causes outlined above, we encourage each registered voter throughout the Metropolis of Antioch to signal the recall petition and get Mayor Lamar Thorpe on the November Poll.
By Mike Burkholder & Ken Turnage II
WTF California Podcast Hosts
- Dec 20, 2020: Antioch Mayor Elect Lamar Thorpe Announces Transition Team
this was begin of ad-hocs, particular conferences to skirt open assembly legal guidelines and information of conferences. Advert-hocs and particular assembly have been used as a instrument to restrict public information and public participation.
- Dec 17, 2020: Antioch City Council Votes to Rescind School Resource Officer Grant
One of many first actions as Mayor was to rescind college useful resource officers
- Dec 30, 2021: Foul-Mouthed City Councilwoman Blasts Antioch Police Department
No management from the Mayor or different metropolis councilmembers. Allowed to push anti-Antioch Police narrative and create a hostile work surroundings. Later, it could come out that Walker donated $500 the identical day her sons felony diminished to misdemeanor.
- Jan 4, 2021: Mayor Downplays Councilwomans Foul Mouthed Rant Against Antioch Police
Mayor Thorpe confirmed no management nor assist of the Antioch PD
- Jan 25, 2021: Antioch Police Chief Tells City Council Officer Mellone is Qualified to Work Anywhere in California
- Feb 5, 2021: Editorial: City Hall Needs to Remove the Muzzle from the Antioch Police Department
- Feb 11, 2021: Antioch Councilwoman Has “No Intention of Apologizing” For Anti-Police Rant
This demonstrates no management from Mayor and no integrity for metropolis staff or the neighborhood.
- Feb 22, 2021: Antioch Mayor Unveils Police Reform Proposals
- Feb 25, 2021: Antioch Mayor Seeks to Expedite Police Reform After Second In-Custody Death
With out info and accomplished investigation, mayor started mendacity to the general public. He additionally fibbed on e-mail notification concerning in custody deaths
- Feb 26, 2021: Antioch City Council to Move Forward with RFP for Bridge Housing for Homeless
These had been a bogus set of conferences with restricted participation, a report that was deceptive and individuals even highlighted the report was false as a result of gadgets said didn’t occur or had been said incorrectly.
- Feb 26, 2021: Antioch City Council Set for Special Meeting to Discuss Police Reform
- March 1, 2021: Antioch City Council Moves Forward With Police Reform Measures
- March 2, 2021: Antioch Police Chief Holds Press Conference on Death of Angelo Quinto
Given the rhetoric by the Antioch Mayor and the lies, it pressured chief brooks to carry a press convention, play the 9-1-1 calls and provides full description of what transpired. Even after this, Thorpe has proceed to push a false narrative of what transpired.
- Might 9, 2021: Antioch Mayor Lamar Thorpe Talks Recent Shootings During City Council Meeting
- March 10, 2021: Antioch City Council Unanimously Approves Police Worn Body Cameras
This got here months after it had been requested. Thorpe grandstanding by withholding vote till his police reform vote. Additionally voted towards this whereas a councilmember.
- March 10, 2021: Antioch Mayor: “We Are Thugs Who Want to Defund the Police”
- March 21, 2021: Antioch City Council Set to Receive Final Report for Bridging The Gap Series
- March 24, 2021: Antioch City Council Votes 4-1 to Prohibit Police From Receiving Military Equipment
- March 24, 2021: Antioch City Council Approves Community Camera System at A Street and 18th Street
- April 14, 2021: Antioch Mayor Seeks to Create Chinatown District, Apologize for City’s History
- April 28, 2021: Antioch City Council Approve Three More Police Reform Items
- Might 13, 2021: UPDATE: 12-Year-Old Shot and Killed Wednesday Night in Antioch
Mayor Thorpe confirmed up on scene of this incident
- June 9, 2021: Antioch City Council Votes 3-2 to Reject Police Taser Replacement and Upgrades
This transfer really price taxpayers cash and made no sense.
- June 16, 2021: Updated: Antioch Mayor Holds Press Conference Declaring City a “No Side Show Zone”
The irony here’s a fellow councilmember attended a sideshow to point out assist. Torres-Walker even filed a criticism to keep away from releasing emails about her son planning a “experience out”
- June 21, 2021: Antioch Mayor Proposes Naming Water Fountain Black Lives Matter Freedom Fountain
- July 18, 2021: Antioch Councilwoman Torres-Walker Posts Video Calling for Hiring 4 More Police Officers
Mayor by no means introduced this up for a dialogue
- July 19, 2021: Antioch Councilman to Propose Increasing Police Department by 2.5% Each Year Until 170 Officers
Mayor by no means introduced this up for dialogue
- July 25, 2021: Editorial: Self-Promoting Antioch Mayor Uses Sycamore Crime to Get More TV Time
- July 26, 2021: Video: Antioch Mayor Announces Hiring Program, Probation’s Partnership and Puts Property Owners on Notice
Blamed native enterprise for crime whereas threatening eminent area, blindsided county with announcement (nonetheless no probation partnership in Sycamore Sq.) and mentioned they’d rent criminals whereas bypassing hiring course of.
- July 28, 2021: Antioch City Council Approves Police Body Camera Policy
This coverage was created in a separate committee with restricted public view and entry and was hidden until public was really trying to take part.
- Aug. 9, 2021: Editorial: Residents Must Begin to Standup to Micromanaging Antioch City Council
- Aug 10, 2021: Antioch Search Warrants Reveal Mayor and City Clerk Engaged in Possible Criminal Conduct
- Aug 24, 2021: Antioch City Council to Look at “Restraint” Policy for Police Holds
- Sept. 9, 2021: Antioch Announces Retirement of Tammany Brooks as Police Chief
- Sept. 15, 2021: Emails Reveal Antioch School Board Trustees and Mayor Manufactured Outrage in Antioch High Incident
- Sept. 18, 2021: Three Protesters Arrested After Interrupting Antioch Police Chief Going Away Party
A number of protesters who assist the Mayor confirmed as much as trigger a scene.
- Oct. 4, 2021: Antioch to Reopen Investigation into Torres-Walker Complaint Against Antioch Police
- Oct. 4,2021: Ogorchock Calls on Antioch Councilwoman Torres-Walker to Resign from Police Oversight Commission
Mayor Thorpe once more confirmed failed management by merely eradicating Torres-Walker as chair, slightly than eradicating her fully from the committee.
- Oct. 5, 2021: Antioch Police 2020 Crime Data Provided
Transparency in Antioch useless, Thorpe prevented this knowledge from reaching the general public. He did this for political causes.
- Oct. 21, 2021: Antioch Police Department Announces Partnership With DOJ
Thorpe tried to take credit score for one thing a 12 months or so within the works after discovering out about this grand simply days earlier than the press convention.
- Oct. 28, 2021: Antioch City Council Seeks to Have Final Say in Police Chief Hiring
The hiring of the police chief is often on the collection of the Metropolis Supervisor
- Nov. 2, 2021: Antioch City Council Agree to Hear Presentation for Beede Lumber Yard Town Square Proposal
Mayor Thorpe rewrites historical past
- Nov. 5, 2021: Antioch Set to Hire Former San Francisco Police Captain as Interim City Manager
This fiasco nonetheless to at the present time has not clarified Johnsons credentials or how open the method was.
- Nov. 10, 2021: Antioch City Council Agrees to Hire Cornelius Johnson as Interim City Manager in 3-2 Vote
The council employed an unqualified metropolis supervisor with no actual course of and illegitimate background test
- Nov. 29, 2021: Antioch City Council Votes Down Ad-Hoc Committee for City Manager Recruitment
- Dec 12, 2021: Antioch Mayor May Not Have Been Authorized to Enter or Photograph Active Crime Scene
Thorpe entered crime scene whereas space closed off to public & media and grandstanding with posting images that weren’t allowed to take as scene was nonetheless energetic.
- Dec 15, 2021: Antioch City Council Agrees to Spend $284k for 15-Rooms to Combat Homelessness
- Dec 16, 2021: Antioch Mayor Announces Hiring of Interim City Manager
- Jan 26, 2022: Antioch City Council Agrees to Apply for State Grant to Help Reduce Gun Violence
- Feb 8, 2022: Antioch Seeks to Boot Congressman McNerney from Community Center Office
- Feb 22, 2022: Antioch Set to Create Transitional Housing Overlay District for Executive Inn
- March 12, 2022: Antioch City Council Selects District Map, Ogorchock to Run Against Wilson
- March 19, 2022: Antioch Mayor Lamar Thorpe Arrested for Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol
- March 23, 2022: Emails Show Antioch Interim City Manager Fires Police Chief, Then Retracts Hour Later
- April 4, 2022: Antioch Mayor Lamar Thorpe Proposes $40k Hiring Bonus for New Cops, Down-payment Assistance