The Warren County College Board throughout its Wednesday, August 3 common assembly unanimously authorised a number of objects — together with extra preschool slots and better costs for grownup meals served on the faculties — and met a brand new college division assistant superintendent.
Warren County Public Colleges (WCPS) Superintendent Christopher Ballenger launched board members to the varsity division’s new Assistant Superintendent of Instruction Heather Bragg, a WCPS Educational Useful resource Workforce member for the final 5 years who specialised in English, historical past, and international language instruction. Bragg replaces Alan Fox, who previously held the place earlier than retiring in June.
“I consider that my time right here [with WCPS] over the past 5 years… has ready me to start the job, however I do know that I’ll have rather a lot to study and stay up for participating in these partnerships and persevering with these relationships with the principals, lecturers, and workers that I’ve already established,” Bragg mentioned, including that she’s “actually enthusiastic about instruction and curriculum and the constructive influence it may possibly have on the lives of our college students.”
“They not need to quarantine,” mentioned Hirsch. “Individuals who take a look at constructive for COVID ought to isolate for 5 days. If they’re asymptomatic, their signs are resolving, they usually’ve been fever-free for twenty-four hours, they might return to programming after 5 days.”
Ballenger added that contract tracing by college nurses is also not required. “We’re going again to ‘if you happen to’re sick, keep residence; if you happen to’re not sick, then come to high school,’” he mentioned.
In College Board motion, all members have been current, together with College Board Chair Kristen Pence, Vice Chair Ralph Rinaldi, and members Antoinette Funk, Andrea Lo, and Melanie Salins.
The board unanimously authorised 10 objects on Wednesday. Among the many highlights have been approvals for:
1) The 2022-2023 Twin Enrollment Contract between Laurel Ridge Neighborhood School and WCPS that units out the phrases and circumstances for which programs might be supplied to highschool college students who decide to take college-level programs and obtain each school credit score and highschool credit score towards commencement.
2) The primary modification to the lease settlement between Warren County, the Warren County College Board, and the Samuels Public Library for the event and upkeep of an amphitheater adjoining to the library. The unique lease settlement between the College Board and Warren County, in addition to the lease settlement between Warren County and the Board of Trustees of Samuels Public Library didn’t allow the library campus for use for something besides a library, in response to WCPS Assistant Superintendent for Administration George “Buck” Smith. The primary modification permits for a portion of the library campus for use for the development and operation of the open-air amphitheater, in addition to the library, he mentioned.
3) Growing the grownup breakfast charge to $2.40 and the grownup lunch charge to $4.00 efficient August 9, with the intention to meet the 2022-2023 Virginia Division of Training (VDOE) minimal Grownup Worth requirement. Smith defined that grownup meal costs should be excessive sufficient to compensate for the entire paid reimbursement and the commodity worth that’s not supplied by the federal authorities for these meals. “The paid reimbursement and commodity charges change every college 12 months, that means grownup meal costs could change annually,” mentioned Smith.
4) One extra Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) instructor and three extra VPI assistants at a price of $145,000 and $5,000 in non-labor funds for a complete of $150,000, lined by a rise within the VPI state allocation. The superintendent can also be approved to request extra appropriations from the Warren County Board of Supervisors. Hirsch mentioned that WCPS has skilled a rise in pre-Okay enrollment that, in flip, warranted a rise within the allocation from VDOE. “Our new allocation is 173 slots, which brings our greenback allocation to $714,044,” he mentioned. “Our present appropriation for this college 12 months was $564,044.”
5) 5 wheelchair-accessible automobiles to move college students that might be largely funded via the $309,038.12 American Rescue Plan flowthrough grant WCPS was awarded in July 2021. Hirsch mentioned the automobiles will alleviate house points and assist social distancing in automobiles. The entire price of the automobiles is $298,450. The steadiness of $10,588.12 might be used to assist plexiglass, automotive seats, and different equipment that may improve COVID-19 mitigation methods, mentioned Hirsch.