LOS ANGELES — Drunk drivers, avoid your automobiles. The Los Angeles Police Division introduced Thursday that it’s organising checkpoints and rising patrols in areas of town with a historical past of DUI crashes and arrests.
The dates and places of the DUI checkpoints embrace:
- Figueroa St. and 9th St.: Friday, February 4, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Whittier Blvd. and Fresno St.: Saturday, February 5, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Cahuenga Blvd. and Broadlawn Dr.: Saturday, February 5, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Santa Monica Blvd. and Bronson Ave.: Wednesday, February 9, from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- The dates and places of DUI saturation patrols with extra officers and patrol vehicles embrace:
- Pacific Space: Thursday, February 3, from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Rampart Space: Friday, February 4, from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Van Nuys Space: Sunday, February 6, from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
In a press announcement, the LAPD stated the aim of the DUI checkpoints “is to not make arrests however to advertise public security by deterring drivers from driving impaired. Through the checkpoint, officers will search for indicators that drivers are drunk and/or medication.”
Impaired driving, in line with the LAPD, isn’t just driving whereas drunk. Prescription drugs, over-the-counter medication and leisure marijuana may also be the trigger. Drivers who function their automobiles whereas underneath the affect could also be fined as a lot as $13,500 and may also have their driver’s license suspended.
The LAPD’s DUI checkpoints and saturation patrols comply with an announcement from the Nationwide Freeway Site visitors Security Administration this week that discovered visitors fatalities in the course of the first 9 months of 2021 elevated 12% in contrast with a 12 months earlier. Among the many main causes of these deaths: impaired driving.